Sunday, April 24, 2011

Full Circle

Yesterday I had the blessing of taking a glorious walk in the woods.  Not just any woods, but woods that are only a mere 5 minute drive from my apartment.   I was fortunate enough to share this journey with a very close friend of mine, Phil.

We have taken many walks/hikes in the past but yesterday felt different.  Maybe it was because neither of us had tried this trail, maybe it was because it was Easter weekend, maybe it felt different for many other reasons that neither of us can explain.

What I do know is in spite of the day being somewhat cloudy and overcast I saw the most beautiful things on this hike.   We walked along the side of a roaring creek where water rushed over rocks and roared so loudly it was almost deafening.  I saw new ferns poking their heads out of the ground anticipating the birth of spring.  Birds chirped happily and the green of the pines was spectacular.

We walked and walked and walked some more.  It just felt right even though at times the mud was slippery, the slope quite inclined, and the wind blowing.  When we got to the top of the ridge, we pressed further.  We walked along a railroad grade...off in the distance was the local ski hill, Spirit Mountain.  As we looked back over our shoulders we commented how far we had come.

Being of adventurous minds we decided to keep going toward the ski hill...once there, parts of the hill had grass, but many moguls and places still had snow.  As we stood in the middle of the hill, I said, "I bet we could see more if we climbed that mogul."  So climbed we did.  Once to the top of that mogul, we could see the very top of the hill with the chairlifts.  We smiled at each other knowing exactly what the other was thinking.  We climbed onward and upward. 

At the top of the hill I could see all of Duluth and even farther.  It was breathtaking. 

On this Easter Sunday it makes me think about how all I am doing and seeing is possible through God's love for me.  How if He had not sacrificed his Son for me, I would not be able to see all the beautiful things around me.  I would not be saved or blessed. 

I know I am never alone and that He always has a plan for me and goes before me.  It is comforting knowing that.  Seeing God's world yesterday was magical.  I was in awe and will continue to be in awe each and every single day.

I am so thankful for the reality of where I am now in my life, but also the joy to see where I have come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment