Sunday, May 8, 2011

Awestruck

I am always pleased when things going on in my life somehow tie together with the sermon I hear at church on Sunday morning.  Today was yet another one of those moments.

Yesterday while hiking out at Copper Falls - Wisconsin State Park I commented to my co-adventurer how I never grow tired of seeing the green of the pine needles, the smell of the woods, the roar of the waterfalls, the sheer memsmerizing beauty of all of nature.  

Every single time I am out in nature, it is as if I am taking it all in for the very first time.  Sometimes it makes me catch my breath.  Or I'll get this lump in my throat because I know if I thought about it for one second more I'd probably be brought to tears.  I am so taken by what God has created and allowed me to witness with a heightened awareness. 

Today's sermon talked about how we don't always see Jesus but he is always around us.  He is indeed!  I saw him yesterday on the hiking trail...I felt him last night as I drove home and witnessed many, many deer who thankfully decided not to cross my car path....I hear him in the birds chirping, children's laughter and on and on.

It is very easy to have a blind spot in our life and not even realize it.  I am so blessed my vision has been corrected.  I realize I am not perfect, far, far from it.  I am grateful though to have a higher sense of awareness about the things I once turned a "blind eye" to or didn't really care enough to notice.

It is easy to take the paved smooth path of least resistance.  I choose the thorny, overgrown, sometimes woodtick laden path....because there is so much more to see there and so much more to experience and feel. 

Open your eyes to everything...you will not be disappointed. 

1 comment:

  1. Teri,
    You do have quite a way with words.

    I am not Christian, and yet I can say I understand perfectly how you feel. Because whatever the name of God, He is all around us.
    In nature, in the people we love, in a beautiful song, in an inspiring text.

    I look forward in reading your thoughts on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete